Crescent Link Londonderry is part of the North Western Key Transport Corridor which connects Belfast to Londonderry and on to Donegal. It is an essential road link in Londonderry and the recent upgrade to dual carriageway will facilitate further housing and industrial development in the area. Dualling of the Crescent Link was included in the Derry Area Plan 2011 and in the Department for Regional Development’s Regional Strategic Transport Network Transport Plan 2015.
Crescent Link connects Caw roundabout on the A2 Clooney Road to Altnagelvin roundabout on the A6 Glenshane Road. It was constructed in 1977 as a single carriageway road with widened earthworks to make for easy upgrade to dual carriageway.
Three recent construction contracts have progressively improved the road to dual carriageway standard:
- Stage 1 — Caw roundabout to Crescent Link roundabout
- Stage 2 — Crescent Link roundabout to Kilfennan Link roundabout
- Stage 3 — Kilfennan Link roundabout to Altnagelvin roundabout
Where improvement of the road has facilitated private sector development, the improvement has been wholly or largely funded by the developers.
- work commenced 23 April 2007
- opened to traffic 3 December 2007
Updated: 20 August 2015