The A8 is a strategically important road within Northern Ireland and this stretch of the A8 currently carries in excess of 17,000 vehicles per day. With traffic levels continuing to grow, traffic congestion will increase and road safety will deteriorate. It is important to the economy of Northern Ireland that the port of Larne is serviced by an efficient road link.
- upgrade 14km of existing route to dual carriageway standard
- 21 May 2008 - Community information day
- November 2008 - Stage 1 Report published.
- 11 and 12 November 2008 - Stage 1 public exhibition held.
- 5 August 2009 - Stage 2 Report published (preferred route)
- 5 and 6 August 2009 - Preferred route exhibition held
- 26 January 2010 - Phase 1 contract for the A8 dualling project has been awarded to the consortium Lagan / Ferrovial / Costain
- January 2011 - Environmental statement, the Notice of Intention to Make a Direction Order (NIMDO) and the Notice of Intention to Make a Vesting Order (NIMVO) published
- 25 and 26 January 2011 - Public exhibition of the draft Orders and Environment statement held at at Corr's Corner Hotel
- 15 June 2011 - Public Inquiry held at Corr's Corner Hotel
- May 2012 - Inspector's report and Departmental statement published
- 30 July 2012 - Phase 2 contract (construction) for the A8 dualling project has been awarded to the consortium Lagan / Ferrovial / Costain
- August 2012 - Construction commenced
- 9 February 2015 - Transport Minister opens Ballynure Bypass
- 16 December 2015 - Scheme opened
- Land acquisition and compensation (Northern Ireland) Order 1973 for A8 Belfast to Larne dualling (14.4km kilometres of dual carriageway running from Coleman’s Corner to the Ballyrickard Road)
- A8 Belfast to Larne Dualling - Stage 1 Report
- A8 Belfast to Larne Dualling - Stage 2 Report
- A8 Belfast to Larne Dualling - Stage 3 Report
- A8 Belfast to Larne Dualling - Statutory Orders
- A8 Belfast to Larne Dualling - Environmental statement
- A8 Belfast to Larne Dualling - Inspector's report and Departmental statement
Updated 14 July 2016