To improve journey times, journey time reliability and safety on the A24 Belfast to Newcastle Trunk road by providing a bypass around Ballynahinch. The provision of this bypass is also expected to improve traffic conditions in the town centre.
The proposed A24 Ballynahinch Bypass would run from a new roundabout at the junction of the A24 Belfast Road and the A21 Saintfield Road to a new roundabout located at the existing junction of the B2 Downpatrick Road and the A24 Drumaness Road. A compact grade separated junction would connect the B7 Crossgar Road with the proposed bypass.
Overtaking opportunities would be provided for traffic leaving both roundabouts to travel along the proposed bypass. A shared footway/cycleway extending between the terminal roundabouts would be included within the proposed A24 Ballynahinch Bypass scheme.
A ‘Park & Share’ facility would be constructed on the northern side of the proposed Saintfield Road Roundabout between the A24 Belfast Road and A21 Saintfield Road.
The Environmental Statement, draft Notice of Intention to Make a Vesting Order (NIMVO) and draft Notice of Intention to Make a Direction Order (NIMDO) were published in March 2015.
A Public Inquiry of the draft orders and Environmental Statement were held in the Millbrook Lodge Hotel, Ballynahinch, on 26 and 27 January 2016 and the Inspectors report was subsequently received in March 2016.
The Department’s project development team considered the report and its recommendations and prepared a report for the consideration of the Minister for Infrastructure, Chris Hazzard MLA.
On 13 December 2016 the Minister released his Written Ministerial Statement detailing his decision to accept the outcomes of the Public Inquiry for the A24 Ballynahinch Bypass scheme and to progress the scheme in readiness of funding becoming available.
In his Statement the Minister asked the Department for Infrastructure to publish the formal 'Environmental Statement: Notice to Proceed' and to make the Direction Order for the scheme.
£35 - £45M
The Vesting Order for the scheme will be made in due course when funding has been confirmed.
Development work on the scheme continues to progress. Preparation of the Economic Appraisal Report is progressing to schedule and it is currently planned that Department of Finance Approval of this appraisal report will be sought during the current calendar year.
To advance the state of readiness of the scheme, preparatory works on contract documents is ongoing to minimise the time required to initiate a procurement completion should funding become available for construction.
However, progression of the proposed Ballynahinch Bypass to procurement and subsequent construction will depend on the approval of the business case, clearing the statutory procedures and funding being made available to the Department.
Scheme Overview Video
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Stage 1 - Preliminary Options report
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Non-motorised users report
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Public consultation document summary report
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Stage 2 - Preferred Options report
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Composite Notice of Intention
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Environmental Statement
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Draft Direction Order
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Draft Vesting Order
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass – Stage 3 - Engineering, Traffic & Economics Report, March 2015
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Statement to Inform the Appropriate Assessment
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Departmental Statement for Public Inquiry
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Submissions to draft Orders
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Replies to submissions to draft Orders
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Proofs of Evidence for Public Inquiry
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Inspector's report
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Departmental statement to Inpector's report
- A24 Ballynahinch Bypass - Notice to Proceed
Guidance for Landowners
The link below provides guidance for landowners, residential property owners, agricultural property owners and business property owners who are impacted by road schemes.
Last updated August 2020