These documents explain the legal basis for, and the way the Department will approach, the exercise of its statutory functions and may be subject to decisions of the higher courts and subsequent legislation.
TRU Practice Guidance Documents
These Practice Guidance Documents are currently being reviewed to take account of The Goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) (Amendment) Regulations 2022 – please read in conjunction with The Goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) (Amendment) Regulations 2022.
- Document 0 – Introduction
- Document 1 – Good Repute & Fitness
- Document 2 – Finance
- Document 3 – Transport Managers
- Document 4 – Operating Centres, Stable Establishments, and Addresses for Service
- Document 5 – Legal Entities
- Document 6 – Detentions
- Document 7 – Delegation of Authority
- Document 8 – Case Management
- Document 9 – Principles of Decision Making & the Concept of Proportionality
- Document 10 – Format of Decisions
- Document 11 – Appeals
- Document 12 – Interim Contingency and Emergency Planning
- Document 12 Supplementary - Advice to Operators
The practice guidance has been developed with regard to the Code of Practice on Guidance on Regulations introduced by the Northern Ireland Executive and NIO Assembly in July 2010. The code is a non-statutory code of practice, not legally binding and cannot prevail over statutory or mandatory external requirements.
This practice guidance is specific to the Northern Ireland Legislation, and is applicable to NI based operators only.
Operators located in GB should refer to the Statutory Guidance and Statutory Directions available from the Office of the Traffic Commissioner.