- Cost - £185m
- Length - 14.7 kilometres
- Type - Dual carriageway
- Status - In Construction
- March 2007 - Draft statutory orders published
- November 2007 - Public Inquiry Held
- May 2011 - Direction Order and the Environmental Statement confirmed; the Vesting Order will remain in Draft until funding for the scheme has been confirmed.
- December 2014 - Planning Application granted for Annaghmore Bellshill alternative junction; objections received.
- January 2015 - Draft vesting order published for Annaghmore Bellshill alternative junction; objections received.
- May 2015 - Contract awarded to GRAHAM Farrans Joint Venture.
- September 2015 - Public inquiry into draft vesting order for Annaghmore Bellshill alternative junction.
- August 2016 - Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard announced his decision to proceed with the A6 Randalstown to Castledawson Dualling Scheme Vesting Order.
- October 2016 - Preliminary works commenced
- June 2017 - Main construction commenced
- Mid 2019 - The Randalstown to Toome section will open
- 2021 - The Toome to Castledawson section will open
The A6 Randalstown to Castledawson is part of the important North Western Transport Corridor, connecting Belfast and the North West via Toome, Maghera and Dungiven.
The project is in two parts; 7.3 kilometres between Randalstown and Toome and 7.4 kilometres between Toome and Castledawson.
High quality transport links such as the A6 Randalstown to Castledawson Dualling Scheme are the vital arteries of today’s most successful economies, delivering direct benefits such a improved safety, journey time reductions and reliability. Furthermore some of the Wider Economic Benefits include;
- powering competitive advantage in business
- facilitating inward investment,
- reducing social isolation
- improving integration, and
- linking people to an expanding world of information, services and opportunity.
The investment in efficient, reliable, competitive and sustainable infrastructure networks is critical in delivering the Departments priority of growing a dynamic and innovative economy.
- A6 Randalstown to Castledawson scheme alignment plans
- Randalstown Castledawson scheme brochure
- Randalstown to Toome dualling scheme
- Toome to Castledawson dualling scheme
- Annaghmore Bellshill junction
- Construction contract
A6 Randalstown to Castledawson - animated flythrough video
The scheme construction website holds detailed and up to date information and is available at:
Updated March 2019