The A2 Buncrana Road Derry/Londonderry is a key link in the North West which serves as the main corridor from the city centre to industrial and residential areas, as well as a link to County Donegal.
The Department for Infrastructure is fully committed to progressing the road improvement scheme which will assist the economic regeneration and development of Derry city. The proposal includes the upgrade of the existing 4.1 kilometre two lane carriageway to four lanes, including a footway and cycleway, with additional crossings along the route and a Park & Ride Facility. The key aims of the scheme are to improve road safety, reduce traffic congestion, include enhanced pedestrian and cyclist provision as well as enhancing public transport along the route.
Given the importance of the scheme it is critical that the final design fully aligns with the emerging transport, land use and climate change policies and plans. The Department is currently developing a new Regional Transport Strategy (RTS) and suite of Transport Plans which will set the new future direction of transport policy and investment enabling the reduced vehicle trips travelled and modal shift required to ensure that we address our climate change obligations under the Climate Change Act (Northern Ireland) 2022.
The Department has therefore decided to pause the development of the scheme until the RTS is completed and the Northwest Transport Plan is well enough developed to allow a high quality design to be advanced that fully aligns with the holistic multi modal transport approach for the city, including any linkages to City deal projects.
Notes to editors:
- The redevelopment of the Fort George site is not dependant on the Buncrana Road Improvement Scheme being implemented. Improvements to Pennyburn Roundabout and any other transport mitigation measures can be taken forward as part of the redevelopment proposal.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquires only between 1800 hrs and 0800 hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Road improvement scheme for A21 Ballygowan Road, Ballygowan 02 June 2023
- Consultation on Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme launched 01 June 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Quay Street, Ardglass 24 May 2023
- Publication of ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2022/23 Quarter Four’ 23 May 2023