A Principal Inspection of the Craigavon Bridge, Londonderry is due to commence on Tuesday 17 May 2022.
This scheduled inspection of the bridge is required to facilitate monitoring of the condition of the structure and to determine any maintenance works necessary to protect the structural integrity of the bridge.
Due to the nature of the works it will be necessary to close the A2 Craigavon Bridge lower deck and the associated slip roads while the Principal Inspection is being conducted to ensure the safety of the road user and site workers alike.
The road-closure will be in place between 17 May and 20 May 2022 from 9:30am to 3.30pm each day while the inspection works takes place.
The lower deck footway will remain open for pedestrian use during the inspection.
Diversions via Craigavon Bridge Upper will be signposted from A5 Victoria Road and from A2 Duke Street for traffic approaching the bridge from the Eastern Embankment and from A40 Foyle Street and A2 Foyle Embankment for traffic approaching the bridge from the Western Embankment.
Completion of the Inspection works is due by 20 May 2022 however, the Department will keep the public informed of any change.
Road users should expect some delays while the diversions are in place and are advised to allow additional time for their journeys. The Department would apologise for any inconvenience caused.
For traffic information about this and other improvement schemes visit: Trafficwatchni
Notes to editors:
- Craigavon Bridge is the oldest of Derry’s three bridges. Built in 1933 this Grade B+ listed structure is the only double deck road bridge in Northern Ireland and one of only a few throughout Europe.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Resurfacing scheme for Portadown Road, Armagh 22 September 2023
- Launch of recruitment competition for Chair to the Board of Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners 21 September 2023
- Resurfacing scheme for Aghory Road, Richhill 20 September 2023
- Department announces appointments to Board of Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners 19 September 2023