Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has announced the next steps for a scheme to widen Hydepark Road, Newtownabbey in order to facilitate extension of bus services and enhance facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.
The scheme will involve widening of a 250 metre key section of the Hydepark Road to permit a regular bus service, enable circular routing of services and create a new shared footway/cycleway. The Department will be moving forward with the next stage of the scheme which will see the publication of a Notice of Intention to Make a Vesting Order.
Minister Mallon said:
“I am committed to delivering sustainable infrastructure that will transform communities and improve lives. I want to create more opportunities for people to walk, cycle and use public transport as we know this not only leads to improved physical and mental wellbeing, it also helps tackle the climate crisis.
“My Department is currently progressing the design of a scheme on Hydepark Road to accommodate bus services and provide a shared use path. The existing road is less than 4 metres wide over a length of about 250 metres, has no footway and in its current format is it is not suitable for use by large vehicles. This has meant that significant residential areas between Hightown Road and Mayfield Link Road are not currently served by existing Translink services.
“I have therefore asked for this scheme to be prioritised and my officials will now be moving forward with the Vesting process. Subject to successful acquisition of land, I anticipate construction could start by March 2022 with completion by summer of 2022.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- £419,000 resurfacing schemes for Killagan Road, Ballymoney 27 January 2022
- Mallon welcomes commencement of the advanced site works on the Enniskillen Southern Bypass scheme 26 January 2022
- Mallon signals her intention to seek approval to extend the Concessionary Fares Scheme 26 January 2022
- Mallon launches community consultation on Dungiven Park and Ride scheme 24 January 2022