Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has announced that a £150,000 street lighting scheme will commence on the A2 Bangor to Belfast Road on Monday 2 March.
The scheme will install a total of 36 new street lighting columns with new LED lights on both the eastbound and westbound carriageways between the Holywood Exchange off slip and Sullivan Place, near the train station.
Minister Mallon said:
“I have made clear my commitment to address the issues which matter most to the people of Northern Ireland.
"This significant investment provides new LED technology along this key arterial route and will improve the quality of lighting while also reducing energy consumption and the need for regular maintenance.”
Work on the Bangor-bound carriageway will begin on Monday 2 March and will continue until Friday 3 April, while work on the Belfast-bound carriageway will be completed between Monday 23 March and Friday 17 April.
During these dates it will be necessary to implement a series of lane closures between 9.30 am and 4.00 pm, Monday to Friday.
The Department has programmed the work operations and traffic management arrangements to minimise inconvenience, however, road users should expect some delays and are advised to allow additional time when travelling in the area.
In order to help ensure the safety of road users and road workers, the public is asked to comply with all temporary traffic restrictions and to drive with extra care when travelling in the vicinity of the works.
Completion of the work by 3 April will be dependent on the progress of the scheme and on favourable weather conditions, however, the Department will keep the public informed of any changes.
For traffic information about this and other improvement schemes visit: www.trafficwatchni.com
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- The Northern Ireland Planning Statistics: 2019/20 Annual Statistical Bulletin 02 July 2020
- Mallon will take forward legislation to exempt vehicles of historic interest from MOT testing 02 July 2020
- Mallon announces face coverings to be mandatory on public transport from July 10 02 July 2020
- Road improvement scheme for A5 Victoria Road at Bready, to commence 01 July 2020