Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard announced the delivery of over £19m road maintenance, improvement and transportation schemes in 2015/16 in the Belfast City Council area.
Speaking before today’s meeting between TransportNI and Belfast City Council, the Minister announced that £19.1m was invested in Belfast’s road and transportation network in 2015/16.
Minister Hazzard said:
“£4.8m was spent in 2015/16 on the Belfast Rapid Transit scheme in carrying out widening of the carriageway to construct new bus lanes, relocation of services and resurfacing of the footway and carriageway. The Rapid Transit system is currently expected to be operational in September 2018.”
At the meeting, Eastern Division Manager, Kevin Monaghan outlined the other significant areas of work completed by the Division in 2015/16, including:
- continuing work to progress York Street Interchange
- A2 Sydenham Bypass widening
- A55 Knock Road widening schemes
“Work has also been completed to construct a new cycle way along Alfred Street. This is the first of a number of major cycling schemes for the city centre aimed at improving cycling provision across the city.
“Road improvement schemes completed last year included a collision remedial scheme at Shore Road/North Queen Street/Fife Street, Belfast and the provision of a traffic calming scheme at Glenburn Road and Ulster Avenue. In addition, a Pedestrian Measures scheme included a new Puffin Crossing at Limestone Road at Currie Primary School,” said Mr Monaghan.
Notes to editors:
Media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press office on 028 9054 0007. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.
- Road resurfacing scheme for U1131 Carmoney Road, Eglinton 29 October 2020
- Mallon announces £19m Support Fund for Taxi Drivers and Private Coach and Bus Operators 29 October 2020
- Repairs to damaged safety barriers on A2 Clooney Road dual carriageway, Derry 28 October 2020
- Mallon refuses planning permission for Doraville Wind Farm 26 October 2020