Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard announced the delivery of over £19 million road maintenance, improvement and transportation schemes in 2015/16 in the Belfast City Council area.
Speaking before today’s meeting between TransportNI and Belfast City Council, the Minister announced that £19.1 million was invested in Belfast’s road and transportation network in 2015/16.
Minister Hazzard said:
“£4.8 million was spent in 2015/16 on the Belfast Rapid Transit scheme in carrying out widening of the carriageway to construct new bus lanes, relocation of services and resurfacing of the footway and carriageway. The Rapid Transit system is currently expected to be operational in September 2018.”
At the meeting, Eastern Division Manager, Kevin Monaghan outlined the other significant areas of work completed by the Division in 2015/16, including:
- continuing work to progress York Street Interchange
- A2 Sydenham Bypass widening
- A55 Knock Road widening schemes
“Work has also been completed to construct a new cycle way along Alfred Street. This is the first of a number of major cycling schemes for the city centre aimed at improving cycling provision across the city.
“Road improvement schemes completed last year included a collision remedial scheme at Shore Road/North Queen Street/Fife Street, Belfast and the provision of a traffic calming scheme at Glenburn Road and Ulster Avenue. In addition, a Pedestrian Measures scheme included a new Puffin Crossing at Limestone Road at Currie Primary School,” said Mr Monaghan.
Notes to editors:
Media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press office on 028 9054 0007. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.
- Extension of a Non-Executive Member appointment to the Board of Warrenpoint Harbour Authority 05 March 2021
- Respect people who are delivering public services – Nichola Mallon 04 March 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Derrylee Road, Maghery 02 March 2021
- Resurfacing scheme for A46 Belleek Road, at The Brooke, Enniskillen 02 March 2021