Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard today announced his intention to commence consultation with residents in Clady regarding HGV traffic through the village.
The Minister said:
“The issue of HGV traffic using the village, essentially as a short cut, is a massive problem for residents. I was really struck by the enormity of the problem when I visited last November and witnessed a high volume of these vehicles causing traffic chaos. These vehicles block the roads, are a safety hazard for pedestrians - especially school children, the elderly and cyclists. The historic bridge with its seven arches could be at risk of damage by these vehicles and I would like to see a weight restriction introduced.
“My officials had a productive meeting with the PSNI before Christmas to work through the practicalities of an enforcement scheme and I am awaiting confirmation on this solution. I am also seeking a meeting to discuss proposals with Donegal County Council which includes proposing suitable signage on the N15.
“It is distressing for the residents to have to endure these vehicles passing through what was once a tranquil village. I know that the consultation with the residents will be welcome news and I want to ensure that the scheme that is developed, in conjunction with other key stakeholders, will provide the most expedient outcome for all.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- See photos from the Department for Infrastructure in our Flickr collection: www.flickr.com/photos/niexecutive/collections/72157669044006236/
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- The first Northern Ireland Planning Monitoring Framework 2018/19 has been published today 19 September 2019
- £78,000 Footway Reconstruction and Carriageway Resurfacing Scheme for Broughshane Street, Ballymena 18 September 2019
- £237,000 resurfacing scheme for A8 Ballymena Road, Larne 13 September 2019
- Launch of recruitment competition for Northern Ireland Water 12 September 2019