The first Residents’ Parking Scheme to be introduced in Northern Ireland became operational in an area of South Belfast today.
The Department for Infrastructure initiative has created Controlled Parking zones for residents and business owners in the Rugby Road and College Park Avenue area.
A total of 236 parking bays have been clearly defined, 117 of which will be for permit holding residents only, with a further 119 bays designated for Pay and Display available to anyone and subject to terms and conditions. In addition a further seven bays are available adjacent to local creches on Rugby Road which are designed for drop off/pick up and will be limited to a 10 minute maximum stay.
The scheme will operate from 8am to 6pm Monday to Fridays with the exception of a Loading Bay in Carmel Street which will operate from 7am to 6pm.
To avail of parking in the Residents Only zone, residents with rateable property within the zone must have applied for and obtained a valid permit from the Department. Those residents can also avail of 25 visitor passes per quarter.
Signage has been erected to alert motorists when they are entering or leaving the zone. Additional signage also clearly identifies permit only parking, mixed parking (permit and Pay & Display), short stay parking and loading only bays.
Motorists who park in the bays without a valid permit or pay and display ticket may be subject to a Penalty Charge Notice.
Speaking about the launch of the scheme Kevin Monaghan, DFI Divisional Roads Manager said:
“It was clear from the outset of this process that there was overwhelming support from residents who are finding it increasingly difficult to park outside their homes and businesses during the day. The Department has listened to these views and it is great to see the scheme reach fruition and become operational today. I would ask non-residents to respect the allotted residents’ parking spaces and make alternative arrangements.”
Information on Residents’ Parking can be found at www.nidirect.gov.uk/resident-parking.
Notes to editors:
- The “On-Street Parking (Residents Parking Zone- Rugby Road/College Park Avenue Area, Belfast ) Order (Northern Ireland ) 2017 and “The Parking Places, Loading Bay and Waiting Restrictions (Carmel Street and Rugby Road, Belfast) Order (Northern Ireland) 2017” came into effect on 30 October 2017.
- In November 2013 an informal consultation process was conducted with residents in the College Park Avenue / Rugby Road area. A formal consultation followed and ran from 29 October 2014 to 19 November 2014. In November 2016, then Roads Minister Chris Hazzard, announced the scheme would proceed.
- The “controlled parking zone” commenced on 16 April 2018 and includes: Carmel Street, College Green, College Park Avenue, Rugby Parade, Rugby Road, Rugby Street, University Avenue and College Park.
- Residents and their visitors, who wish to park within the parking zone and use the available 117 “Residents Only” bays or 119 “Pay & Display” Bays must be in possession of a valid parking permit. The 119 “Pay & Display” bays are available to everyone, terms & conditions apply.
- Resident permits are available for eligible ratepayers whose property lies within the zone at a cost of £30 per annum. Only one resident permit can be issued per residence. Residents can also apply for 25 visitor permits per quarter at a cost of £12.50.
- Further information on the scheme including the Order and map can be obtained by visiting the following link: https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/publications/street-residents-parking-zone-rugby-roadcollege-park-avenue-belfast-order-northern-ireland-2017-no
- A consultation to introduce a similar scheme in the Rossville Street area of Londonderry closed on 10 April.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure