Infrastructure Minister John O’Dowd has published the responses to the consultation on a legislative framework for reservoir safety in the north of Ireland.
The consultation provided partners and stakeholders in the management and safety of reservoirs with an opportunity to respond to the Department’s proposals in relation to the full introduction of the Reservoirs Act (NI) 2015.
John O’Dowd said:
“Safety around reservoirs is of the utmost importance I would like to place on record my thanks to all those that took the time to consider the proposals and respond comprehensively to the consultation.
These responses have been carefully analysed and will be considered as work continues on the remaining sections of the Act.
It is clear from the responses received, that there is support to commence the Act to ensure a regulatory and management framework for reservoir safety is put in place.”
A copy of the consultation responses is available at: Consultation Report Reservoirs Act NI 2015
Notes to editors:
- The Reservoirs Act (Northern Ireland) 2015 (the Act) provides a proportionate regulatory and management framework for reservoir safety in Northern Ireland. The Act, when commenced, aims to manage the flood risk from an uncontrolled release of water due to reservoir failure from reservoirs capable of holding 10,000 cubic metres of water above the natural level of the surrounding land. These reservoirs are known as controlled reservoirs.
- Nineteen responses were received in response to the targeted eight-week consultation which launched on 29 November 2021 and ended on the 23 January 2022.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Resurfacing scheme for Portadown Road, Armagh 22 September 2023
- Launch of recruitment competition for Chair to the Board of Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners 21 September 2023
- Resurfacing scheme for Aghory Road, Richhill 20 September 2023
- Department announces appointments to Board of Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners 19 September 2023