Works to replace the roundabout at Kennedy Way in West Belfast with a new signalised junction as part of the Belfast Rapid Transit project will begin at the start of July.
The new signalised junction will improve the control of traffic movements and provide controlled pedestrian facilities throughout the junction.
Some preparatory work is already underway, with the main works due to begin over the weekend of 1 July when the roundabout will be completely closed from 7.00 pm on Saturday 1st to 1.00 pm on Sunday 2nd. Access to properties on the roads approaching the roundabout will be maintained and signage will be erected at appropriate advance locations advising of the closure and directing traffic on alternative routes.
From Monday 3 July to the end of August the temporary roundabout and the approaches to it will, where necessary, be restricted to a single lane of traffic in each direction.
Work and ongoing traffic management arrangements have been carefully programmed over the summer months in order to minimise any inconvenience to the public, however motorists should be aware that some delays may be expected and that additional time should be allowed when planning any journeys.
This work and the ongoing work on the Falls Road/Andersonstown Road are part of the Executive’s flagship Belfast Rapid Transit project which will be fully operational from September 2018.
For more information about this and other improvement schemes you can visit: www.trafficwatchni.com.
Notes to editors:
- Further information on BRT can be found on the Department’s website at: www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/topics/transport-initiatives/brt.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- See photos from the Department for Infrastructure in our Flickr collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/niexecutive/collections
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Publication of the Public Transport Journey Planning in Northern Ireland statistical report 2017/18 21 March 2019
- Publication of the Northern Ireland Planning Statistics: Third Quarter 2018/19 Statistical Bulletin 21 March 2019
- Respect our road workers, they are working to improve your journey 21 March 2019
- £152,000 road improvement scheme for Ballinderry Industrial Estate, Lisburn 19 March 2019