Works to replace the roundabout at Kennedy Way in West Belfast with a new signalised junction as part of the Belfast Rapid Transit project will begin at the start of July.
The new signalised junction will improve the control of traffic movements and provide controlled pedestrian facilities throughout the junction.
Some preparatory work is already underway, with the main works due to begin over the weekend of 1 July when the roundabout will be completely closed from 7.00 pm on Saturday 1st to 1.00 pm on Sunday 2nd. Access to properties on the roads approaching the roundabout will be maintained and signage will be erected at appropriate advance locations advising of the closure and directing traffic on alternative routes.
From Monday 3 July to the end of August the temporary roundabout and the approaches to it will, where necessary, be restricted to a single lane of traffic in each direction.
Work and ongoing traffic management arrangements have been carefully programmed over the summer months in order to minimise any inconvenience to the public, however motorists should be aware that some delays may be expected and that additional time should be allowed when planning any journeys.
This work and the ongoing work on the Falls Road/Andersonstown Road are part of the Executive’s flagship Belfast Rapid Transit project which will be fully operational from September 2018.
For more information about this and other improvement schemes you can visit: www.trafficwatchni.com.
Notes to editors:
- Further information on BRT can be found on the Department’s website at: www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/topics/transport-initiatives/brt.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- See photos from the Department for Infrastructure in our Flickr collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/niexecutive/collections
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Department for Infrastructure advises road users to take care and has staff on standby to manage weather impacts 16 October 2017
- Road users to remain cautious while Roads staff continue storm clean up 16 October 2017
- Works on resident’s parking scheme in south Belfast to commence 12 October 2017
- Update on North West flooding repair 05 October 2017