A £700,000 road improvement scheme is due to commence on the A24 Saintfield Road on Monday 15 July.
The scheme will provide right turn pockets for vehicles turning into Myrtledene Road and Glenhugh Park, provision of a Puffin crossing to replace the existing footbridge and a retaining wall at the back of the new footway along Beechill Avenue.
Once completed the work will improve safety for road users and pedestrians using this busy route.
To facilitate construction and ensure the safety of workers and road users, lane closures with a 30mph speed limit will be in operation for the duration of the works with at least one lane in both directions maintained.
A full road closure will, however, be required at times to ensure safe removal of the footbridge and for the final resurfacing work. The public will be advised of road closures in advance and diversionary routes will be clearly signed.
While the work has been carefully programmed in order to minimise disruption, some localised delays will be inevitable and road users are asked to allow extra time for their journeys. The Department apologises in advance for any inconvenience that the works may cause and thanks the public and local residents for their patience while this work is carried out.
Subject to favourable weather conditions the scheme is expected to be completed by September.
Updates and further information will be made available on https://trafficwatchni.com
Notes to editors:
- Throughout the period when the footbridge is removed and the new Puffin crossing is provided, pedestrians will be directed to use the existing signal controlled crossings at Lenaghan Avenue and Beechill Road.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- £240,000 resurfacing scheme on A26 Banbridge Road, Lurgan 19 July 2019
- Strangford Ferry foot passenger fares to be suspended on Portaferry Gala Night 2019 18 July 2019
- £140,000 road improvement scheme on Burren Road, Ballynahinch 18 July 2019
- Extension of Non-Executive Member Appointments for the Board of Northern Ireland Water 17 July 2019