Outlining the position on the York Street Interchange scheme, Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard said:
"As is already on record, the Executive has set out four flagship infrastructure projects which will benefit people across the region. These include the Belfast Hub and Belfast Rapid Transit projects, as well as the A5 and A6.
“There are of course other significant capital projects like York Street Interchange and I and my Executive colleagues fully recognise the importance of these projects and their impact for local people.
“However, the reality is that progress on all of these will be determined by the scale of resources available from the forthcoming budget process.
“In the case of York Street, while it is a project that could have attracted up to 40% EU funding, there would still be a 60% gap to make up.
“My Department has of course been pursuing European funding for York Street Interchange through the Connecting Europe Facility. Unlike structural funds, this is a highly competitive funding programme with member states required to submit applications as part of a formal bidding process. This is implemented by a series of calls for funding. The next call for major projects is anticipated for early 2018. As a result, the funding stream for this project goes beyond the timeframe set by the chancellor.
“To clarify the position on procurement of the York Street project specifically, the bidding exercise has now been extended so procurement decisions can be made in line with future funding allocations.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or e-mail: email@example.com
- Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Extension of a Non-Executive Member appointment to the Board of Warrenpoint Harbour Authority 05 March 2021
- Respect people who are delivering public services – Nichola Mallon 04 March 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Derrylee Road, Maghery 02 March 2021
- Resurfacing scheme for A46 Belleek Road, at The Brooke, Enniskillen 02 March 2021