A £195,000 carriageway resurfacing scheme on the A20 Portaferry Road, Newtownards will commence on Monday 7 June 2021.
The improvement work will extend a distance of approximately 300 metres from its junction with New Road to the approach to the Portaferry Road roundabout. The junction of Portaferry Road / New Road and its immediate approaches are included. To complete the scheme safely traffic management measures will be in place from Monday 7 June until Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Due to the nature of the scheme it will be necessary to operate a daily weekday overnight road closure for the resurfacing operations (Monday – Friday) between the hours of 7.00 pm and 6.00 am from Monday 7 June to Friday 11 June 2021, and from Monday 14 June to Tuesday 15 June 2021. During these times a diversion will be in place with traffic being diverted via U9020 Court Street, A21 South Street and A20 Castlebawn Road.
The road will be open to traffic in the daytime during the week and all day Saturday and Sunday. Local access for residents and emergency services will be maintained at all times during the works although some delays may be experienced.
The Department has carefully planned these road works and associated traffic management arrangements in order to minimise inconvenience to the public. Road users are advised to allow extra time for their journey and to follow the alternative routes which will be clearly signed on the approaches to the closure.
In order to help ensure the safety of road users and road workers, the public is asked to comply with all temporary traffic restrictions and to take extra care when travelling in the vicinity of the works.
Substantial completion of the work by Wednesday 16 June 2021 is dependent on favourable weather conditions. The Department will keep the public informed of any change.
All work will be carried out in line with current public health and health and safety advice, with safe systems of working in place for staff and contractors.
For traffic information about this and other improvement schemes visit: Trafficwatchni.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquires between 1800 hrs and 0800 hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Minister Mallon takes a step back in time at Crumlin Road Gaol 17 June 2021
- Update on essential maintenance works on M2 at Bellevue Bridge, Belfast 17 June 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Moyle Walk, Belfast 16 June 2021
- Mallon announces the planned return of full vehicle testing services 16 June 2021