The new ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – September 2020’ report, containing statistics up to September 2020, is now available.
The publication is produced by the DVA Statistics Branch of the Department for Infrastructure (DfI), and contains summary volumes on the vehicle, driver, and theory tests conducted by the DfI’s Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA). The publication is available on the DfI website at:
The key points in the report are:
Following the outbreak of COVID-19, the DVA suspended all vehicle testing from 24th March 2020, meaning no tests were conducted during April and May. The DVA resumed IVA testing on 1st June, priority vehicle groups on 20th July, and further additional categories from 1st September.
In total, the DVA conducted 2,894 vehicle tests in July, 4,540 in August, and 12,710 in September. These are 3.7%, 5.7%, and 15.5% of the relevant 5-year monthly averages prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Driving Practical Tests
Similarly, all driver testing was suspended from 20th March, and so no practical driving tests were conducted between April and June. Motorcycle testing resumed on 6th July, whilst tests for drivers of buses, tractors and module 4 CPC tests for lorry, bus and coach drivers commenced on 20th July.
In total, the DVA conducted 126 driving tests in July, 449 in August, and 2,821 in September. These are 2.6%, 8.9%, and 53.9% of the relevant 5-year monthly averages prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Driver Theory Tests
The DVA suspended all theory testing from 20th March, and only resumed on 6th July. During May and June only a handful of ‘key-worker’ tests were conducted.
In total, the DVA conducted 3,843 theory tests in July, 5,173 in August, and 5,786 in September. These are 61.6%, 87.4%, and 90.3% of the relevant 5-year monthly averages prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Notes to editors:
Background to ‘DVA Monthly Statistics’
- This is the first edition of the publication ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics’, relating to data to September 2020. The release is written, and issued by, the DVA Statistics Branch in the Department for Infrastructure.
- The release presents statistics on vehicle, driver, and theory tests conducted during July, August, and September 2020, together with trend series over the previous five financial years. In the next edition, due in November, we will also include additional statistics on the number of test applications, beginning with the October 2020 statistics.
- We source vehicle and driver data from administrative data sources within the DVA, whilst Pearson VUE supply the theory data.
- ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics’ will be published every month at pre-announced release dates, which are available from the GOV.UK website at:
- Electronic copies of the ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – September 2020’ can be downloaded from our website at:
- A detailed User Guidance document is also available on our website.
- This report supplements the existing quarterly National Statistics publication ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics’. The quarter two edition of which is scheduled to be published in mid-November.
This is an Official Statistics publication and therefore follows the Code of Practice for Official Statistics. You can find further information about the Code of Practice at: Statistics Authority
For further information, please contact:DVA Statistics Branch,
Driver and Vehicle Agency,
Annex 4, Belfast Test Centre
66 Balmoral Road,
- Tel (press enquiries): 02890 540007
- Tel (public enquiries): 02890 547911 (Text relay prefix 18001)
- E-mail: DVA.Statistics@nisra.gov.uk
- Website: Driver and Vehicle Agency Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics
- Street lighting upgrade scheme on the Northway, Portadown 19 October 2020
- Glenrandal Bridge, Claudy reopens following £420,000 replacement scheme 19 October 2020
- Council receives an update on infrastructure projects for Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council area 2020 19 October 2020
- Road improvement scheme for Tullynawood Road, Keady 16 October 2020