A £400,000 carriageway resurfacing scheme on A2 Warrenpoint Road dual carriageway (Newry bound) will commence on Monday 6 January 2020.
The resurfacing work will extend a distance of approximately 1000 metres from close to the Mound Road roundabout at Warrenpoint, towards Newry. The scheme will deliver significant improvements to both the structural integrity and surface of the road.
Due to the nature of the scheme it will be necessary to operate the following closures:
- Closure of Lane One and the hard shoulder from Monday 6 January until Sunday 26 January;
- Closure of Lane Two from Monday 27 January until Friday 7 February;
- Three weekend closures from Mound Road roundabout to Aughnamoira Road between 7.00 pm and 6.00 am from Friday 7 February until Monday 10 February; Friday 14 February until Monday 17 February; and Friday 21 February until Monday 24 February.
During the weekend road closures a diversion will be in place via A2 Newry Road – Duke Street – Upper Dromore Road – Milltown Road – Bridge Road – Chapel Hill Road and Newry Road.
Cyclists are advised that during the duration of the resurfacing scheme the cycle lane will be suspended and a diversionary route for cyclists will be operational via Mound Road, Greenan Road and Old Warrenpoint Road, Newry.
Diversionary routes will be clearly signed and local access for residents will be maintained at all times during the works.
In order to help ensure the safety of road users and road workers the public is asked to comply with all temporary traffic restrictions and to drive with care when travelling through, or in the vicinity, of the works.
The Department has programmed the work and traffic management arrangements to minimise any inconvenience, however, drivers should expect some delays and are advised to leave additional time when planning any journeys.
Completion by 24 February is dependent on favourable weather conditions. The Department will keep the public informed of any change.
For traffic information about this and other improvement schemes visit: www.trafficwatchni.com.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Resurfacing scheme for A47 Killadeas Road at Ballycassidy 10 August 2020
- Resurfacing scheme for Mowhan Road, Markethill 10 August 2020
- Resurfacing scheme Main Street and Mullavilly Road, Laurelvale 07 August 2020
- Road improvement scheme for A29 Desertmartin Road and B41 Main Street, Tobermore 07 August 2020