A £170,000 carriageway resurfacing scheme on the B8 Castlewellan Road, Hilltown will commence on Monday 5 August 2019.
The resurfacing work will extend a distance of approximately 825 metres, from its junction with Spelga Park to the 30mph gateway at St John’s Church.
The scheme will deliver significant improvements to both the structural integrity and surface of the road.
Due to the nature of the scheme it will be necessary to operate a daily weekday road closure between the hours of 8.00 am and 6.00 pm from Monday 5 August until Friday 16 August.
During these times a diversion will be in place with traffic for B8 diverted via Main Street – Rathfriland Road/Hilltown Road – Castlewellan Road – Hilltown Road/Castlewellan Road and vice versa.
Traffic for B27 will be diverted via Kilkeel Road/Moyad Road/Mountain Road – The Square (Kilkeel) – Newry Road/Killowen Road/Shore Road – Mary Street/The Square (Rostrevor) – Church Street/Kilbroney Road/Rostrevor Road and vice versa.
The road will be open to traffic in the evenings during the week and all day Saturday and Sunday.
In order to help ensure the safety of road users and road workers the public is asked to comply with all temporary traffic restrictions and to drive with care when travelling through, or in the vicinity of, the works.
The Department has programmed the work and traffic management arrangements to minimise any inconvenience, however, road users should expect some delays and are advised to leave additional time when planning any journeys.
Work is expected to be completed by 16 August, however this will be dependent on the progress of the scheme and on favourable weather conditions.
For traffic information about this and other improvement schemes visit: www.trafficwatchni.com
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Sydenham Bypass to be closed this weekend 20 May 2020
- DfI statement on Casement Park planning application 20 May 2020
- "Innovative green infrastructure is key to recovery” says Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon 15 May 2020
- Mallon to bring new legislation to the Assembly to encourage use of electric bikes 12 May 2020