Infrastructure Minister John O’Dowd has launched a public consultation on a 2022 taxi fares review.
The Department is inviting the public, the taxi industry, both operators and drivers, plus relevant stakeholders, including the Consumer Council, to provide their views on proposals to potentially increase the maximum taxi fare tariff across the North.
Minister O’Dowd said:
“I am very aware of the difficult environment the taxi industry are operating in post the pandemic, with unprecedented fuel costs and high inflation hitting driver labour and operating costs.
“I want to support the industry where I can through their current trading difficulties but I am also mindful that the citizens of the North are in a cost of living crisis. Many are struggling to meet day to day costs and so they may not be in a position to incur any increase to taxi fares. It will be important to balance the needs of workers and the wider public.
“I encourage anyone who has a vested interest to contribute to this consultation process. Once the responses have been analysed my officials will provide a report for my consideration and I will communicate my decision as soon as possible.”
The consultation documents are available at:
Citizen Space: https://consultations2.nidirect.gov.uk/dfi-1/maximum-taxi-fare-review-consultation
Or alternatively at:
Notes to editors:
- The Taxis Act (NI) 2008 Section 16 provides the Department with the powers to set a maximum taxi fare tariff.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquires only between 1800 hrs and 0800 hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Road improvement scheme for A21 Ballygowan Road, Ballygowan 02 June 2023
- Consultation on Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme launched 01 June 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Quay Street, Ardglass 24 May 2023
- Publication of ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2022/23 Quarter Four’ 23 May 2023