Infrastructure Minister John O’Dowd has announced funding to support Councils to deliver greenway and active travel projects in 2022/23.
Commenting on the scheme Minister O’Dowd said:
“Last year my Department wrote to Councils inviting them to submit proposals for greenway and active travel projects to be considered for support with funding from my Department’s £20m Blue/Green fund. A number of worthy projects were identified and £1.9 million was allocated to support their delivery providing greener, cleaner and better infrastructure for local people.
“I am very keen to increase active travel opportunities that will encourage a safer, cleaner travel culture and make a real difference to people’s lives. I am committed to working with all Council areas in identifying and delivering active travel and greenway projects for 2022/23.
“I have today written to Councils inviting them to submit proposals for support for greenway and active travel schemes that will be ready to commence this year, with a view to my Department providing up to 50% funding towards the capital costs of greenways and 100% for active travel projects in 2022-23.
“I would encourage all Councils to consider their greenway and active travel priorities for this year and apply for support. By working together we can provide more people with access to high quality greenways across the North, encouraging more walking, wheeling and cycling and addressing the climate emergency.”
Notes to editors:
- The Department for Infrastructure will provide 50% of the capital costs in 2022-23 for each greenway scheme selected and 100% funding in 2022-23 is being offered for smaller scale active travel projects such as cycle parking and signage. All proposals will be subject to public expenditure processes, before final funding agreed.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Resurfacing scheme for Portadown Road, Armagh 22 September 2023
- Launch of recruitment competition for Chair to the Board of Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners 21 September 2023
- Resurfacing scheme for Aghory Road, Richhill 20 September 2023
- Department announces appointments to Board of Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners 19 September 2023