The new £6.2million Strangford Ferry will commence its first operation tomorrow afternoon transporting passengers and cars between Strangford and Portaferry.
Following successful sea trials the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) were satisfied with all safety aspects for the new ferry and have issued the Passenger Certificate to allow it to begin operating.
The new Strangford Ferry will replace the aging MV Strangford, which was built in 1969 and is now beginning to reach the end of its operational life.
The new ferry is equipped with the latest technology in terms of marine engineering and ease of maintenance. It also provides a comfortable passenger lounge for the short journey between Strangford and Portaferry.
Notes to editors:
- The Department for Infrastructure provides half hourly sailings between Strangford and Portaferry every week day from 7.30 am to 10.45 pm, from 8.00 am to 11.15 pm on Saturday and from 9.30 am to 10.45 pm on Sundays.
- The new ferry was constructed by Cammell Laird in Liverpool.
- More information about the new service can be obtained from the nidirect website at: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/strangford-ferry-timetable
- Media enquiries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Warrenpoint Harbour Authority - Extension of two Non-Executive Members’ Board Appointments 18 April 2019
- Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners - Extension of four Non-Executive Members’ Board Appointments 17 April 2019
- £350,000 replacement scheme for Majors Bridge, Lisnaskea 15 April 2019
- Extension of Chair Appointment for the Board of Northern Ireland Water 08 April 2019