New Minister for Infrastructure, Nichola Mallon will focus on creating sustainable infrastructure for future generations.
Speaking on her first day in the job, Minister Mallon said:
“I am delighted to be taking on the infrastructure portfolio, a portfolio that is so important to the daily lives of all our people, our communities, our environment and our economy.
“Having a modern and sustainable water, drainage and transport infrastructure is essential if we are to grow our economy and improve the lives of everyone. While I understand there are challenges ahead, not least given underinvestment in recent years, I am looking forward to developing new proposals to address regional imbalance and support a thriving region where people want to live, work and invest.
“I am also committed to working to deliver the infrastructure needed to improve connectivity, grow the all island economy and play our part in tackling the climate emergency.
“Over the next weeks and months I am particularly looking forward to meeting many of the 3,000 staff who work in my department on the front line, delivering services that have such a great impact on so many of us every day, whether that’s resurfacing and salting our roads, cleaning gullies or ensuring our vehicle is safe and roadworthy.
“I am also looking forward to working collaboratively with our stakeholders and partners, whose input, ideas and perspectives I will want to encourage. I am determined that the department will adopt a collaborative approach, based on building genuine partnerships, as we work together to deliver a sustainable infrastructure that supports the region’s economic wellbeing and indeed improved wellbeing for all.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of hours, please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Mallon delivers MOT test centres to help fight COVID-19 06 April 2020
- Minister Mallon announces appointment of the Chair for the Board of Northern Ireland Water 01 April 2020
- Mallon urges the public to support frontline workers 30 March 2020
- Statistical press release – Public transport journey planning in Northern Ireland 2018/2019 26 March 2020