Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has had an inaugural meeting with her southern counterpart the Minister for Climate Action, Communications Networks and Transport Eamon Ryan TD.
The Ministers held a bilateral meeting in Dublin following a North South Ministerial Council meeting.
Speaking after their meeting Nichola Mallon said:
“I was delighted to meet with Minister Ryan today in Dublin to discuss how we can work collaboratively, in partnership across our island. In particular, Minister Ryan and I agreed that we have shared priorities, including delivering cleaner, greener sustainable transport, that transforms communities and enhances our island economy.
“This is a really important time for Ireland. We are facing huge challenges from the covid pandemic, the Brexit crisis and the climate emergency, working together is no longer a choice but an absolute necessity for all of our communities.
“Today, at the NSMC I made it clear to colleagues that I am committed to working with partners across these islands. It is really positive to see Government formation in both parts of our island, we now must deliver for our communities on our shared future, our shared economy and our shared opportunity for transforming lives of all our citizens. For my part, I am committed to seizing our chance for change and delivering the infrastructure needed to improve connectivity and grow the all island economy, including the A5, Narrow Water Bridge and the Ulster Canal.
“I also was pleased to hear at first hand from Minister Ryan about the Greenways Strategy for the South. We now have both Ministers North and South - announcing substantial investment pots to deliver greenways across Ireland. I too am committed to seeing further greenway development across our island, as safe places for active travel, driving healthier living, cutting emissions and opening up our tourism potential.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hour’s service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Publication of DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – December 2020 15 January 2021
- LED street lighting upgrade for Newcastle Main Street 15 January 2021
- Road improvement scheme at Dublin Road, Castlewellan to commence 14 January 2021
- LED Street Lighting Upgrade Scheme, St Canice’s Park, Eglinton 14 January 2021