The first phase of a £400,000 footway and cycleway along the A52 Newcastle Road between Castlewellan and Newcastle has commenced. The scheme will take approximately eight weeks to complete with an estimated completion of mid-May 2022.
The footway and cycleway will run from the gateway feature in Castlewellan to the junction with Sawmill Road. The work will involve widening 1600 metres of existing footway to provide an upgraded combined footway and cycleway.
Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon said:
“This scheme is part of my commitment to the delivery of active travel schemes across the North and to making walking, wheeling and cycling a safer and more attractive option for people getting around. This will greatly enhance provision for cyclists and pedestrians and provide further opportunities for active travel.
“I would like to thank local residents and businesses in advance for their cooperation and ask that they comply with all temporary traffic restrictions while these much needed works are completed.”
Road users are advised that some lane closures will be required to facilitate the construction process and to take extra care in the vicinity of the works.
When complete the upgraded route will provide an improved facility in the Castlewellan and Newcastle area to encourage more walking, wheeling and cycling at this location. The Department apologises for any inconvenience that may be associated with the works and would like to thank road users, in advance, for their tolerance during the
construction process. The dates and duration of the works will be dependent on favourable weather conditions. All work will be carried out in line with current public health and safety advice with safe systems of working in place for staff and contractors.
For traffic information about this and other improvement schemes visit: Trafficwatchni
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hour’s service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Resurfacing scheme for Portadown Road, Armagh 22 September 2023
- Launch of recruitment competition for Chair to the Board of Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners 21 September 2023
- Resurfacing scheme for Aghory Road, Richhill 20 September 2023
- Department announces appointments to Board of Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners 19 September 2023