Infrastructure Minister, Nichola Mallon has welcomed the completion of a £288,000 pedestrian and cyclist signal upgrade on the A55 Knock Road Dual Carriageway at the Glen Road junction.
The scheme created a two stage ‘Toucan’ crossing with an improved refuge island in the central reserve of the carriageway. The introduction of the refuge island has reduced the crossing distance from 23 metres to two stages of 10 metres and 8 metres. Street lighting has also been improved at the location and the carriageway has been resurfaced.
Minister Mallon said:
“I am committed to delivering sustainable infrastructure that will transform communities and improve lives. I want to change the way we live for the better, providing safe routes that give people the freedom and confidence to walk, wheel and cycle as part of their everyday routine.
“The upgrade to the crossing facility on this busy route will improve road safety for cyclists, wheelchair users and pedestrians and in particular vulnerable road users such as, children, the elderly and those with a disability wishing to travel from the Braniel Estate to the Connswater Community Greenway.
“This improved linkage will give benefits to the whole community and help encourage more people to consider walking and cycling journeys.”
Notes to editors:
- High friction surfacing will also be added to the approach to the crossing when weather permits
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- LED street lighting upgrade for Newcastle Main Street 15 January 2021
- Publication of DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – December 2020 15 January 2021
- Road improvement scheme at Dublin Road, Castlewellan to commence 14 January 2021
- LED Street Lighting Upgrade Scheme, St Canice’s Park, Eglinton 14 January 2021