Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has welcomed the completion of the new Park and Ride facility in Drumahoe and highlighted her ongoing commitment to developing further schemes across the North.
The Drumahoe Park and Ride facility has 277 spaces including 12 dedicated disabled spaces and is a welcome boost for local communities offering sustainable, cleaner and greener transport options for the local community.
Minister Mallon said:
“I am committed to developing sustainable transport projects, greening our infrastructure and doing what I can to tackle the climate emergency and encourage more people to use public transport.
“This new Drumahoe Park and Ride facility, provided as part of my Department’s 25.5km flagship A6 Dungiven to Drumahoe dualling scheme, will provide 277 spaces close to the new dual carriageway, helping to deliver cleaner, greener sustainable transport for citizens in the North West.”
The Minister continued:
“Park and Rides give people the chance to use the public transport network as an alternative to the private car, helping to drive down congestion and emissions and I am committed to developing them across Northern Ireland.
"The completion of the Drumahoe Park and Ride facility, along with the others that are progressing at Trooperslane, Ballymena, Cairnshill, Downpatrick, Comber, Newtownards, Moira, Tillysburn and Dungiven is a positive move and is part of my Green recovery action plan. Together we can change the way we travel and help protect our environment.”
Notes to editors:
- The existing Park and Ride is no longer in use and all Translink services are operating from the new facility.
- The contractors for the A6 scheme, including the Park and Ride facility, are Sacyr, Wills Bros Ltd, Somague Joint Venture.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Mallon extends temporary changes to major planning application process 24 September 2021
- Infrastructure Minister announces appointments to the Board of the Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company 23 September 2021
- Competition Launched for Non-Executive Board members 23 September 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Old Holywood Road, Belfast 22 September 2021