Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has welcomed an additional £3million for winter gritting services, street lighting repairs and road maintenance.
The allocation will enable the Department to continue winter gritting services until the end of March, allow the urgent repair of street light outages and increase the road maintenance budget.
Minister Mallon said: “I am delighted that the Department of Finance has listened to my representations regarding the urgent need to fix our broken street lights and potholes and to ensure our roads are salted during cold weather.
"After three years without a government the people of Northern Ireland deserve delivery. These are the daily issues that matter in homes across Northern Ireland as people go about their lives. Services like these are vital to ensure communities feel safe and connected and are also a factor when people are choosing how and when they travel. This additional funding is much needed and I have asked officials to work now to get the lights back on and our road surfaces improved."
Notes to editors:
1. All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Mallon delivers MOT test centres to help fight COVID-19 06 April 2020
- Minister Mallon announces appointment of the Chair for the Board of Northern Ireland Water 01 April 2020
- Mallon urges the public to support frontline workers 30 March 2020
- Statistical press release – Public transport journey planning in Northern Ireland 2018/2019 26 March 2020