Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has announced that a £2.8 million flood alleviation scheme on the Glenbrook River in the Cregagh Road / Montgomery Road area of East Belfast is due to commence on 22 February 2021.
The scheme will involve the construction of approximately 750 metres of flood alleviation works.
Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon said:
“Once completed this significant investment should reduce the risk of flooding to approximately 285 residential properties in the vicinity.
“Flooding causes devastation and destruction and this is an area which has a history of flooding. The commencement of this work will directly benefit many homes with a reduction in flood risk when it is complete. I hope that this work will bring some comfort and reassurance to this community.”
The works will be programmed to minimise any inconvenience to the public, however, road users should take care in the vicinity of the works and be aware of emerging construction traffic.
The work is expected to take 12 months to complete. All work will be carried out in line with current health and safety regulations, with safe systems of working in place for staff and contractors.
Notes to editors:
- These works are being undertaken by Lowry Building & Civil Engineering Limited.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Mallon announces appointment to the Board of Belfast Harbour Commissioners 18 May 2021
- Publication of ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics– April 2021’ 18 May 2021
- Mallon launches consultation on enhanced facilities at Ballymena Park and Ride 18 May 2021
- Mallon encourages the public to get involved in planning 17 May 2021