The Strangford Ferry Service has continued to operate throughout the pandemic.
Strangford Ferry Service SmartCard journeys which expired during COVID-19 lockdown restrictions March to July 2020 and 8 January to 6 February 2021 were extended, on request, by one year.
This one year extension will also now apply to all SmartCard journeys that have expired during the intervening period between the two lockdowns (July 2020 to January 2021).
Minister Mallon said:
“I acknowledge that many people have been avoiding non-essential travel during the lockdown periods so I have decided to extend by one year, the expiry date for all unused journeys that have expired since the start of the first Covid-19 lockdown period.”
In normal operation the expiry date of journeys on SmartCards can be extended by a year by purchasing a 20 journey top-up. SmartCard top ups expire in a year and are non-refundable, however, in practice when journeys on registered SmartCards expire the Ferry Service will, on request, refund the holder the difference between the full cost of journeys taken and the cost of the SmartCard top up so that people are not left out of pocket.
The normal rules will continue to apply for refunding unused journeys.
Notes to editors:
- Regular customers can avail of discounted fares through the advance purchase of “top ups” held on multi-journey SmartCards. The minimum “top up” is currently 20 journeys. The discount for a car and driver is approximately 57%. Customers are encouraged to register their card with the Ferry Service.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Extension of a Non-Executive Member appointment to the Board of Warrenpoint Harbour Authority 05 March 2021
- Respect people who are delivering public services – Nichola Mallon 04 March 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Derrylee Road, Maghery 02 March 2021
- Resurfacing scheme for A46 Belleek Road, at The Brooke, Enniskillen 02 March 2021