Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has committed to increase the level of road safety education resources available in the Irish language.
The Minister was speaking following a meeting with representatives from Foras na Gaeilge to discuss the road safety resources currently available in Irish and what plans there were to translate additional materials.
Minister Hazzard said:
“My Department has a statutory duty to promote road safety and within the context of the Road Safety Strategy does this through a wide range of road safety education resources and programmes.
“Any enhancement to road safety teaching resources which would result in them being used more widely in schools is always a positive step and I am keen to provide more material for Irish medium schools.
“I have asked my officials to investigate the possibility of An tÁisaonad (funded by Foras na Gaeilge) at St Mary’s University College, translating suitable road safety teaching recourses into Irish.
“My officials also meet regularly with counterparts in the Road Safety Authority in the south to discuss joint working. I will ensure that the agenda for the next meeting includes a discussion regarding opportunities to share school resources.”
Mr Hazzard concluded;
“School children are amongst the most vulnerable groups using our roads. Therefore, it is vitally important that they are taught road safety both at home and at school, as they continue to develop their road safety behaviours and progress into independent road users. I am pleased that we can now ensure that the Irish Medium sector has the safety material that they require in Irish.”
Notes to editors:
- There are over 6000 children attending Irish medium schools across the north of Ireland.
- For media enquiries please contact DfI Press Office tel. 028 9025 6058 or out of office hours, contact EIS Duty Press Officer on pager 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Launch of recruitment competition for Chair to the Board of Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners 21 September 2023
- Resurfacing scheme for Aghory Road, Richhill 20 September 2023
- Department announces appointments to Board of Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners 19 September 2023
- Publication of ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – August 2023’ 15 September 2023