Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has confirmed the completion of works to enable part time 20 mph speed limits to be introduced at two County Armagh primary schools.
The part time speed limit will come into effect from the 10 October 2016 at Moyallen Primary School, Gilford and 11 October 2016 at St Peters Primary School, Collegeland near Loughgall.
The restriction will apply for a distance of 400 to 500 metres along the road in the vicinity of each school.
Chris Hazzard said:
“These measures will enable the national speed limit to be reduced to 20mph at times when pupils are arriving and leaving school. This will significantly improve safety in the vicinity of these schools at the start and end of the school day.
“The safety of our children, especially as they travel to and from school each day is paramount. As we move towards winter and shorter daylight hours, all drivers are reminded to watch out for children walking or cycling, and to take extra care around school buses especially when children are getting on or off. I would also ask the public for their cooperation and to comply with the speed limits in order to improve road safety at these schools.”
When the signs are lit then the speed limit is in effect and will be enforceable by the PSNI. Motorists should be aware of the new arrangements in the vicinity of the school and should adhere to the signs. The signs will remain off for most of the time but will light up at the start and end of the school day when the speed limit is in effect.
Notes to editors:
- This is a relatively new initiative and the effectiveness on national speed limit roads will be monitored before further sites will be considered.
- For media queries or images please contact the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- O’Dowd grants planning permission for Kells Solar Farm 06 October 2022
- Road improvement scheme for Carnreagh Road, Hillsborough 06 October 2022
- O’Dowd joins pupils to celebrate 50th Anniversary of Road Safety Teaching Calendar 06 October 2022
- Road improvement scheme for Lough Road, Lisburn 06 October 2022