Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has announced the completion of a £80,000 shared pedestrian and cycle way on the Knockmore Road, Lisburn.
The scheme consists of approximately 530 metres of track. A pedestrian island at the Knockmore and Ballinderry Road junction has been constructed to assist pedestrians crossing the Knockmore Road. A short stretch of footway along the Ballinderry Road towards Ballinderry provides a footway link from the junction to the existing footway further along the road.
Chris Hazzard said:
“This shared pedestrian and cycle way on the eastern side of Knockmore Road, Lisburn from Flush Park to Ballinderry Road has improved facilities for pedestrians and cyclists in the area. I’m sure the local community welcomes the completion of this track which will improve safety on this busy stretch of road.
“Pedestrian and cycle lanes form a key part of our infrastructure as they encourage more people to walk or cycle on their everyday journeys. This all improves physical and mental health and wellbeing, reduces traffic congestion, energy use and pollution. This not only connects people through our infrastructure but also promotes the use of active travel which will help lay the foundations for longer, healthier, more active lives which are all priorities outlined in the Programme for Government.”
Notes to editors:
1. Shared use routes are designed to accommodate the movement of pedestrians and cyclists. They can be created from new, or by converting existing footways or footpaths. Shared use routes may be segregated or unsegregated. A segregated route is one where pedestrians and cyclists are separated by a feature such as a white line, a kerb or some other feature. On an unsegregated route, pedestrians and cyclists mix freely and share the full width of the route. Knockmore cycle way is an unsegregated route.
2. All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- The DVA re-opens its practical driving test booking system for all customers with more capacity in the system 07 May 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Fenaghy Road, Cullybackey 06 May 2021
- Road improvement scheme for South Belfast 06 May 2021
- Mallon welcomes new bicycle repair station on Lagan Towpath at Lisburn 04 May 2021