Maintenance work on the M3 Lagan Bridge is due for completion this weekend as planned.
The essential works do require lane closures and diversions at weekends and while some delays are inevitable given the nature of the work, these should be minimal.
A TransportNI spokesperson said: “This weekend is expected to see the completion of a major maintenance scheme on the M3 Lagan Bridge, Belfast. The works are necessary to ensure the safety of the road network and have involved the replacement of bridge expansion joints and resurfacing of the road surface.
“TransportNI has made every effort to programme the necessary works operations and traffic management arrangements to minimise inconvenience to the public, publicising closures throughout. For the majority of the weekend closures traffic flow has continued with minimal delays, however TransportNI would like to remind the public about work taking place this weekend.
“This significant project will have long term benefits for road users and we thank the public for their continued cooperation and patience during the course of the works.”
Closures and diversions this weekend are as follows:
From 11.00 pm on Friday 21 October until 6.00 am on Monday 24 October approaching from Sydenham direction the M3 Westbound will be closed. The diversion route will include Bridge End, Dalton Street Link, Middlepath Street On-Slip, M3 Nelson Street Off-Slip, Great George Street and York Street.
Motorists should be aware that some delays can be expected and they should allow additional time when planning journeys.
During the busiest periods of the work the Traffic Information and Control Centre will be operational to adjust the timings of the traffic signals to ensure any delays are kept to a minimum. Live traffic information will be updated on social media using twitter and full details of the works and diversionary routes will be available on our Traffic Watch website at: https://www.trafficwatchni.com/twni/.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Resurfacing scheme for B30, Newry Road, Lislea 03 February 2023
- Road improvement scheme for A2 Clooney Road, Caw to Gransha Roundabouts 03 February 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Cherry Road, Belfast 31 January 2023
- Resurfacing works at Coalisland Road, Dungannon to commence 27 January 2023