Essential public safety works to remove or reduce the size of a number of trees on Crumlin Road, Antrim will commence on Monday 15 May 2023.
Following an inspection survey 49 trees along this busy route are deemed to pose a risk to the safety of the travelling public and therefore need to be removed. A further 25 trees will be reduced or pruned. The reshaping and rebalancing of these trees will actively promote their longevity and life expectancy. An ecologist will be on site throughout the works to ensure no nesting birds are unnecessarily displaced.
The Department is committed to protecting the environment, particularly in light of the ongoing climate crisis. Where trees are removed for safety reasons or other essential works, we endeavour to replant at the same location where possible, and if that is not viable, we plant in the surrounding areas. Over the last few years, the Department has planted 15,000 trees at a number of locations in the Antrim and Newtownabbey area with additional planting planned over the next year.
During these works, which are due to complete on Friday 2 June 2023, a road closure will be in place from Monday to Friday with signed diversions via Manse Road. The road will remain open on the weekends.
Drivers should expect some delays and are advised to allow additional time when travelling in the area. The Department apologises for any inconvenience.
In order to help ensure the safety of road users and road workers the public is asked to comply with all temporary traffic restrictions and to drive with extra care when travelling in the vicinity of the works. For traffic information about this and other improvement schemes visit: Trafficwatchni
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure and on LinkedIn at DfILinkedIn
- Road improvement scheme for A21 Ballygowan Road, Ballygowan 02 June 2023
- Consultation on Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme launched 01 June 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Quay Street, Ardglass 24 May 2023
- Publication of ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2022/23 Quarter Four’ 23 May 2023