The Department for Infrastructure has launched a public consultation on the equality implications of funding proposals as part of its Budget Settlement for 2023-24 financial year.
It follows the announcement by the Secretary of State on the 2023-24 budget allocations.
The Equality Impact Assessment (EQIA) sets out the Department’s initial assessment of the impact of the Budget on spending proposals for the 2023-24 financial year and the potential impact on a range of public services.
The Department’s resource funding has been reduced by 14% when compared with last year on a like for like basis. This is before the additional funding which is needed to meet energy and inflation costs for front line services, which results in a resource deficit of over £100m. Options for consultation in this EQIA include:
- A reduction in public transport provision;
- Water and wastewater services impacted;
- Road maintenance and flood risk management operational activities are reduced to emergency-only services;
- Community transport is not funded;
- Streetlights are switched off;
- No road gritting service is provided this winter.
The consultation documents are available here DfI Resource Budget 2023-24 Equality Impact Assessment Consultation.
The Department welcomes comment on any aspects of the document by 12 June 2023 which will be used to inform the Department’s allocation of 2023-24 funds. Any further consultation responses received between 12 June 2023 and 7 August 2023 will be used to inform further mitigation measures and reallocation of any additional funding available during 2023-24.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra, on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure and on LinkedIn at DfILinkedIn
- Road improvement scheme for A21 Ballygowan Road, Ballygowan 02 June 2023
- Consultation on Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme launched 01 June 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Quay Street, Ardglass 24 May 2023
- Publication of ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2022/23 Quarter Four’ 23 May 2023