From today Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) enforcement officers will be using body worn video cameras when they are on duty.
This move is designed to reduce unacceptable behaviour experienced by staff as they go about their work and if necessary, used to aid prosecutions.
DVA’s Chief Executive, Paul Duffy said
“Our enforcement officers play an important role in protecting the public from the use of unroadworthy vehicles and unlicensed drivers on our roads.
“DVA has a responsibility for the health and welfare of its staff and their safety is our priority. At times our staff are subjected to unacceptable behaviour and the deployment of body worn video cameras will help deter such behaviour and ensure that disputes can be addressed quickly and fairly.”
Studies have shown that Body Worn Video cameras have a significant impact in reducing instances of abuse and aggression and that people are less likely to contest evidence in a case when they know their alleged offending has been captured on camera. The cameras can be activated in situations where the use of the device may help moderate behaviour, avert confrontation or secure evidence of offending. Staff have received training on how to use the cameras and the supporting technology.
Notes to editors:
- The use of Body Worn Video Cameras are regulated in accordance with The Data Protection Act 2018.
- In line with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) “Data Protection Code of Practice for Surveillance Cameras and Personal Information”, and the Home Office’s “Surveillance Camera Code of Practice”, DVA has completed a Privacy Impact Assessment to ensure that the use of the cameras takes into account the effect on individuals and their privacy.
- For media enquiries please contact the DfI Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or out of hours contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Works to commence on new shared footpath link from Broadway Roundabout to Bog Meadows 15 May 2019
- £165,000 resurfacing scheme in Newtownards Town Centre 10 May 2019
- £337,000 resurfacing works on A3 Dobbin Road, Richhill at Broomhill 08 May 2019
- £300,000 road improvement scheme for Harberton Park, Belfast 08 May 2019