Multi-agency partners met earlier today as preparations continue ahead of forecast severe weather and Storm Ciara this weekend and early next week.
Staff from all agencies are on the ground monitoring the situation and will be ready to respond to any impacts.
Traffic disruption and some localised flooding are possible and the public are being asked to consider their journeys and take extra care when travelling this weekend, given the likelihood of strong winds and heavy rain.
The Department’s roads and rivers teams have been checking and clearing road gullies and drainage grills and staff will be on standby across the weekend. Monitoring of water levels and tides has been ongoing and will continue until the weather warnings have elapsed. Regional Community Resilience Groups have also been advised of weather patterns and to make appropriate preparations.
It may be necessary to close roads or put temporary restrictions in place. Road users are reminded to adhere to road signs and any temporary traffic lights. If your journey is essential, reduce your speed, stay well behind the vehicle in front, remain focused and always wear your seatbelt. Traffic information can be found at www.trafficwatchni.com.
Agencies will continue to monitor the situation closely over the week and take any necessary action.
To report incidents of flooding, please contact the flooding incident line on 0300 2000 100. Calls taken by the incident line staff are passed to the relevant responding Agency.
Information about preparing for possible flooding, and what to do after a flood, is available at www.nidirect.gov.uk/flooding-your-area.
Advice for road users in all adverse weather conditions can be found at www.nidirect.gov.uk/driving-adverse-weather.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Statistical press release – Publication of Road Safety issues in Northern Ireland 2018/19 20 February 2020
- £80,000 footway reconstruction scheme for Hillhall Park, Lisburn 20 February 2020
- £120,000 road improvement scheme for Tempo Road, Enniskillen 20 February 2020
- Mallon announces £226,000 road improvement scheme for Baranailt Road, near Claudy 20 February 2020