The Department for Infrastructure has confirmed that work on a £300,000 two-way cycle lane scheme at Middlepath Street, Belfast is scheduled to commence on 8 January 2018.
The scheme will provide 600 metres of cycleway, which will include a segregated two-way cycle lane, bicycle signals and a new toucan crossing. Preliminary works have already begun in the vicinity to create a new cycleway connecting the Lagan riverside path at Queen’s Quay to Titanic Quarter Station.
The Department has carefully programmed the work operations and traffic managements in order to minimise any inconvenience to the public, however motorists should be aware that some delays may be expected and that additional time should be allowed when planning any journeys.
To ensure the safety of road users and contractors it will also be necessary to operate a series of day time and night time road and lane closures, however local access will be maintained and all diversions and restrictions will be clearly signposted.
The scheme is expected to be completed by the end of March 2018.
Notes to editors:
1. As part of the Bicycle Strategy, the Department for Infrastructure is progressing its commitment to give people the freedom and confidence to travel by bicycle.
2. The Bicycle Strategy for Northern Ireland was published in August 2015 - https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/drd/a-bicycle-strategy-for-northern-ireland.pdf
3. All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
4. See photos from the Department for Infrastructure in our Flickr collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/niexecutive/collections/72157669044006236/
5. Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Resurfacing scheme Main Street and Mullavilly Road, Laurelvale 07 August 2020
- Road improvement scheme for A29 Desertmartin Road and B41 Main Street, Tobermore 07 August 2020
- Road improvement scheme for Larne Street, James Street and Alfred Street Place, Ballymena 06 August 2020
- Minister Mallon announces resumption of normal schedule on the Strangford Ferry 06 August 2020