The Department for Infrastructure has confirmed that work on a £300,000 two-way cycle lane scheme at Middlepath Street, Belfast is scheduled to commence on 8 January 2018.
The scheme will provide 600 metres of cycleway, which will include a segregated two-way cycle lane, bicycle signals and a new toucan crossing. Preliminary works have already begun in the vicinity to create a new cycleway connecting the Lagan riverside path at Queen’s Quay to Titanic Quarter Station.
The Department has carefully programmed the work operations and traffic managements in order to minimise any inconvenience to the public, however motorists should be aware that some delays may be expected and that additional time should be allowed when planning any journeys.
To ensure the safety of road users and contractors it will also be necessary to operate a series of day time and night time road and lane closures, however local access will be maintained and all diversions and restrictions will be clearly signposted.
The scheme is expected to be completed by the end of March 2018.
Notes to editors:
1. As part of the Bicycle Strategy, the Department for Infrastructure is progressing its commitment to give people the freedom and confidence to travel by bicycle.
2. The Bicycle Strategy for Northern Ireland was published in August 2015 - https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/drd/a-bicycle-strategy-for-northern-ireland.pdf
3. All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
4. See photos from the Department for Infrastructure in our Flickr collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/niexecutive/collections/72157669044006236/
5. Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Warrenpoint Harbour Authority - Extension of two Non-Executive Members’ Board Appointments 18 April 2019
- Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners - Extension of four Non-Executive Members’ Board Appointments 17 April 2019
- £350,000 replacement scheme for Majors Bridge, Lisnaskea 15 April 2019
- Extension of Chair Appointment for the Board of Northern Ireland Water 08 April 2019