Due to essential works the A6 Glenshane Road near Drumahoe, will be closed in both directions at its junction with Tirbracken Road from 7.00pm on Friday 8 November to 5.00am on Monday 11 November.
This closure is necessary to facilitate a deep excavation for a culvert installation across the A6 as part of the £220million Dungiven to Drumahoe Dualling scheme.
The works cannot be undertaken without a full road closure, and the Department acknowledges this will create disruption and apologises for any inconvenience caused. Road users are advised to leave additional time for their journeys in this area and to follow the diversions in place or to use alternative routes when travelling to or from the north west and Donegal.
The signed diversion will be in place on the A6 from its junction with the B118 Tamnaherin Road via A2 Clooney Road to Altnagelvin Roundabout and vice versa.
In addition to the culvert works the contractor is taking the opportunity to install a water main along with a number of associated connections. These works are being carried out under this road closure to reduce future disruption to traffic.
Further information can be found on the scheme website at https://a6d2d.com/closure-of-a6-glenshane-road/.
For more information about this and other road schemes visit: www.trafficwatchni.com.
Notes to editors:
- Delivered by the Department for Infrastructure, the Dualling scheme will construct 25.5 kilometres of high standard dual carriageway between Drumahoe and Dungiven, including a bypass of Dungiven, with roundabouts connecting the scheme to the existing road network at either end. The existing road carries around 15,000 vehicles per day and with traffic levels continuing to grow, this scheme will greatly improve road safety and journey times by reducing congestion.
- The works commenced in September 2018 and will take up to four years to complete.
- The scheme is being constructed by a contractor consortium of Sacyr, Wills Bros and Somague.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Resurfacing scheme for Belfast Road, Newry 08 July 2020
- Road improvement scheme for O’Neill Road, Newtownabbey 08 July 2020
- Mallon to extend Theory Test Pass Certificates for learner drivers. 08 July 2020
- Resurfacing scheme for Knocknashinna Road, Downpatrick 07 July 2020