A street lighting LED upgrading scheme is due to commence in Kilkeel town centre on Monday 27 November 2023.
The scheme will involve the replacement of the existing lights with a new LED street lighting system. The new lighting system will improve the night time environment, through improved quality and uniformity of lighting. The scheme will include Greencastle Street, The Square, Bridge Street, Newcastle Street and Newry Street.
The Department has carefully programmed the work operations and traffic management in order to minimise inconvenience to the public. All work involving lane closures will be carried out during off peak times Monday to Friday between 22:00 – 06:00. Road users should be aware that some delays may be expected and that additional time should be allowed when planning any journeys.
In order to help ensure the safety of road users and road workers the public is asked to comply with all temporary traffic restrictions and to take extra care when travelling in the vicinity of the works.
All work will be carried out in line with current public health and safety advice with safe systems of working in place for staff and contractors. Subject to favourable weather conditions all work will be completed by mid-December 2023 however, the Department will keep the public informed of any unforeseen changes.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Publication of DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – November 2023 08 December 2023
- Newry, Mourne and Down District Council pledge to Share the Road to Zero 08 December 2023
- The Travel Survey for Northern Ireland In-depth Report 2021 has been published today 07 December 2023
- Consultation begins on options for introducing water and sewerage charges 07 December 2023