The Department for Infrastructure (DfI) has confirmed that all the scheduled gritting routes were treated in the early hours of this morning and further gritting actions are taking place throughout the day as a yellow weather warning for snow across Northern Ireland is in place and an amber warning is also in force for Counties Armagh, Antrim and Down.
One hundred and seven routes, that make up 7000km of the road network are being gritted throughout the day to mitigate as far as reasonably possible the effects of the adverse winter weather.
Industrial Action by members of the GMB and Unite unions is continuing, and this has reduced the Department’s capacity to deliver the gritting service, however all available resources will be deployed this evening with a focus on those routes effected by snow.
The Department also has arrangements in place with external contractors to assist in efforts with the clearance of snow from critical roads.
Road users are reminded to exercise extra caution when travelling, particularly on untreated roads. Even though roads have been well gritted in the last 24 hour period, we cannot guarantee snow and ice free routes.
The Department thanks staff for their commitment to delivering this important public service.
Notes to editors:
- As Industrial Action is continuing, the Department will continue to monitor the long range weather forecast and media outlets will be updated on the level of gritting that will take place
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- £550,000 road improvement scheme for A22 Belfast / Comber Road, Comber 22 March 2023
- £520,000 road improvement scheme in Caledon 16 March 2023
- Planning fees to increase from 6 April 15 March 2023
- Publication of ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – February 2023’ 14 March 2023