Due to the combination of industrial action and particularly cold weather, the Department for Infrastructure is advising that only absolutely essential journeys are made on Thursday 18th January.
The road network will be hazardous for travel due to widespread icy conditions and will not have been gritted apart from some limited gritting on the M1 and M2 motorways, the A1 and the A4. However, road users are reminded that roads leading to the limited salted part of the network will not be treated so extreme caution will be required for anyone travelling tomorrow on any part of the road network. It is the responsibility of every driver to adjust their driving to the road conditions. Anyone who must travel on the road should take great care, reduce their speed and remain alert to other road users at all times.
Pedestrians should equally take great care when walking on footpaths.
The Strangford Lough Ferry Service is not available on Thursday 18 January.
Other essential services including repairs of serious defects, response to incidents and obstructions including flooding and drainage issues will also be significantly reduced.
Further information on public services that will be impacted by the industrial action are available at the following link: Information about public sector industrial action | nidirect
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Infrastructure Minister meets Mental Health Champion 28 February 2024
- Dalradian Gold Ltd - Minerals Planning Application LA10/2017/1249/F and NIE Networks – Powerline Planning Applications LA10/2019/1386/F & LA11/2019/1000/F 26 February 2024
- O’Dowd invests additional £8.1m to repair the road network 25 February 2024
- Infrastructure Minister welcomes suspension of transport strike 25 February 2024