Work is due to commence on 6 August to extend the hard shoulder bus lanes along the M1 and M2 motorways.
On the M1, the existing Belfast bound bus lane will be lengthened by 4.6km between Lisburn Services (Applegreen) and Junction 7 at Sprucefield. On the M2, a new 2.2km bus lane will be provided between Junction 2 at Greencastle and Junction 1B at Duncrue.
The work, to be carried out by Graham Construction, also includes replacement of the existing bus lane signs and provision of additional CCTV.
The M1 and M2 approaches to Belfast are often some of the most congested sections of the strategic road network, particularly at peak times. These extended bus lanes will further improve journey times and service reliability for bus passengers without affecting general traffic flows.
The scheme will begin by upgrading the existing bus lanes and it will be necessary to suspend their use while this work is carried out. It is anticipated however that they will be fully operational again by the autumn. Work on the new sections of bus lanes will then continue and is planned for completion by December 2018.
Temporary traffic management arrangements are also required to carry out the works safely and will generally consist of localised hard shoulder closures and temporary 50mph speed restrictions. Some lane closures may also be necessary at off peak times during evenings/overnight on weekdays, as well as during weekends, but these will be clearly signed in advance.
The Department for Infrastructure has carefully planned the programme of works in order to minimise any inconvenience however, motorists should be aware that minor delays can be expected and they should allow additional time when planning journeys.
Full details of any planned traffic restrictions will be available on our TrafficwatchNI website at:
Notes to editors:
- Further information on the M1/M2 bus lanes can be found at https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/articles/m1-and-m2-busways-overview
- On the M1, two new sections of bus lane totalling 4.6 km will be provided Belfast bound between junction 7 (Sprucefield) and junction 6 (Lisburn) and between junction 6 and Lisburn Services (Applegreen).
- On the M2, two new sections of bus lane totalling 2.2 km will be provided Belfast bound between junction 2 (Greencastle) and junction 1 (Fortwilliam) and between junction 1 and junction 1B (Duncrue St.)
- Alterations will be made to the existing bus lanes including erection of new signs and CCTV monitoring.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number: 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter: @deptinfra and on Facebook: @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Road resurfacing scheme for U1131 Carmoney Road, Eglinton 29 October 2020
- Mallon announces £19m Support Fund for Taxi Drivers and Private Coach and Bus Operators 29 October 2020
- Repairs to damaged safety barriers on A2 Clooney Road dual carriageway, Derry 28 October 2020
- Mallon refuses planning permission for Doraville Wind Farm 26 October 2020