A resurfacing scheme on the A1 Lisburn Road, Belfast is due to recommence on Sunday 4 February 2024.
The scheme involves the resurfacing of the carriageway on the Lisburn Road between Cranmore Gardens and the Kingsbridge Hospital and is expected to be completed within five weeks using Sunday closures and one week of overnight closures. The scheme will greatly improve the strength and surface quality of the footways and carriageway in this section of the road network to the benefit of residents, businesses and those who travel through the area.
Reconstruction of the footways along this section of the Lisburn Road has been ongoing, however, given the challenges faced with this busy key arterial route, which includes residential properties and a number of commercial premises, the Department took the decision to delay the road resurfacing until now.
To ensure the road resurfacing takes places safely and with minimum disruption the road will be closed between Cranmore Gardens and Kingsbridge Hospital on five consecutive Sundays of 4 February, 11 February, 18 February, 25 February and 3 March 2024 between the hours of 5.00 am and 6.00 pm.
Overnight road closures, will also be required from Monday 12 February until Friday 16 February 2024 during the hours of 10.00 pm and 6.00 am.
During periods of road closure a diversion will operate using Tates Avenue, Boucher Road and Stockmans Lane.
The Department has programmed the work operations and traffic management arrangements to minimise inconvenience, however, road users should expect some delays and are advised to allow additional time when travelling in the vicinity of the works.
In order to help ensure the safety of road users and road workers the public is asked to comply with all temporary traffic restrictions and to take extra care when travelling in the vicinity of the works.
The dates of the closures will be dependent on the progress of the scheme and also favourable weather conditions, and any changes to the programmed dates will be advertised on the TrafficWatchni website when details are confirmed.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110
- Follow us on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure and on LinkedIn at DfILinkedIn
- Infrastructure Minister meets Mental Health Champion 28 February 2024
- Dalradian Gold Ltd - Minerals Planning Application LA10/2017/1249/F and NIE Networks – Powerline Planning Applications LA10/2019/1386/F & LA11/2019/1000/F 26 February 2024
- O’Dowd invests additional £8.1m to repair the road network 25 February 2024
- Infrastructure Minister welcomes suspension of transport strike 25 February 2024