The ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – October 2022’ report, containing statistics up to October 2022, is now available.
The publication is produced by the DVA Statistics Branch of the Department for Infrastructure (DfI), and contains summary volumes on the vehicle, driver, and theory tests conducted by the DfI’s Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA).
The publication is available on the DfI website at:
The key points in the report are:
Driving Practical Testing
Following the easing of COVID-19 restrictions, driver testing was able to resume from 23 April 2021 onwards. Due to the nature of particular tests, off-road Motorcycle and certain LGV tests had been able to continue prior to this period. The DVA driver testing booking system opened to all customers in the first week of May 2021.
In October 2022, the DVA received 6,919 applications for a driving test.
The DVA conducted 6,370 driving tests in October 2022, which is 33% higher than the five year October average (4,777).
Private cars accounted for 83% (5,257) of all driving tests conducted in October 2022.
Following the initial outbreak of COVID-19, the DVA suspended all vehicle testing from 24 March 2020, and resumed testing in stages during June (IVA), July (priority groups incl. taxis and buses), and September (four-year-old private cars and motorcycles, three-year-old light goods, and all heavy goods). The DVA was able to continue testing throughout the winter-2020 lockdown, albeit with a reduced capacity due to social distancing measures. Temporary Exemption Certificates (TEC) were issued to those eligible vehicles that the DVA was unable to test.
The DVA received 78,832 applications for a full vehicle test during October 2022.
In October 2022, the DVA conducted 90,011 full vehicle tests, 31% (21,399) above the five year October average (68,612).
Private Cars accounted for 83% (75,066) of all full tests conducted in October 2022.
Driver Theory Testing
Following the easing of COVID-19 restrictions, theory testing was able to resume from 23 April 2021 onwards. The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) took over the contract for theory testing from Pearson on 4 September 2021. Theory tests conducted figures are provisional.
The DVA received 8,583 applications for a theory test during October 2022.
The DVA conducted 7,691 theory tests in October 2022, 17% higher than the five year October average (6,575).
Private cars accounted for 85% (6,526) of all theory tests conducted in October 2022.
Notes to editors:
- This is the twenty-sixth edition of the publication ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics’, to October 2022.
- The release presents statistics on vehicle, driver, and theory tests conducted during October 2022, together with trend series over the previous seven financial years.
- We source vehicle and driver data from administrative data sources within the DVA, whilst DVSA supply theory-testing data. The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) took over the contract for theory testing from Pearson on 4 September 2021.
- ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics’ is published every month at pre-announced release dates, which are available from GOV.UK
- Electronic copies of ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – October 2022’ can be downloaded from our website at: Driver and Vehicle Agency Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics
- A detailed User Guidance document is also available on our website.
- This report supplements the existing quarterly National Statistics publication ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics’. The latest edition of this for quarter four 2021-22 was released on 25 May and is available on our website at: Driver & Vehicle Agency Activity Statistics
- This is an Official Statistics publication and therefore follows the Code of Practice for Official Statistics. You can find further information about the Code of Practice at: Statistics Authority
- For further information, please contact:
Driver and Vehicle Agency,
Belfast Test Centre,
66 Balmoral Road,
- Tel (public enquiries): 02890 547911 (Text relay prefix 18001)
- E-mail: DVA.Statistics@nisra.gov.uk
- Website: DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Road improvement scheme for A21 Ballygowan Road, Ballygowan 02 June 2023
- Consultation on Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme launched 01 June 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Quay Street, Ardglass 24 May 2023
- Publication of ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2022/23 Quarter Four’ 23 May 2023