The new £55 million A26 Frosses dual-carriageway from Glarryford to A44 Drones has opened today.
The new 8 kilometre road, which is used by 18,000 motorists daily, includes a new roundabout at the Drones Road and three flyover junctions.
Speaking at the opening ceremony today, Divisional Roads Manager Deidre Mackle said: “This road scheme will have a significant impact on the 18,000 motorists who use the road daily, halving journey times during peak periods, removing traffic queues, reducing driver frustration and improving safety on the route.
“The upgrade, which has retained the iconic Frosses Trees, will also have knock on impacts for the local economy and contribute to wider economic development for the region both in the short and in the long term.”
Construction of the scheme by the Joint Venture of BAM McCann, commenced in early 2015 and provided employment opportunities to seven people through the DEL Steps to Work programme in addition to five student placements over 40 weeks during construction.
Concluding Ms Mackle said: “I am mindful of the inconvenience experienced by local businesses and landowners on the route during the construction phase and would wish to extend my gratitude to them for their patience.”
Notes to editors:
- Since construction began in January 2015, around 27 kilometres of drainage pipe has been laid, 32 kilometres of fencing erected, 24,000 tonnes of concrete poured and 280,000 tonnes of material laid in the pavement construction. In addition, 225,000 cubic meters of peat was excavated, some of which was utilised in a local bog regeneration initiative,
- Recent drone footage can be viewed via the following link: http://ow.ly/fwV530cqf14
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974383.
- See photos from the Department for Infrastructure in our Flickr collection: www.flickr.com/photos/niexecutive
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Warrenpoint Harbour Authority - Extension of two Non-Executive Members’ Board Appointments 18 April 2019
- Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners - Extension of four Non-Executive Members’ Board Appointments 17 April 2019
- £350,000 replacement scheme for Majors Bridge, Lisnaskea 15 April 2019
- Extension of Chair Appointment for the Board of Northern Ireland Water 08 April 2019