Work on a £300,000 Flood Alleviation Scheme on the Donnygowen Burn, Clady will commence on 16 November 2020.
The scheme will replace the temporary flood defence with a permanent structure which consists of a new 65 metre piled flood wall and widening of the existing road bridge by 2 metres.
Infrastructure Minister, Nichola Mallon said:
“I have seen the devastation flooding can cause homes and communities and the genuine concern this can cause each time bad weather is forecast. Once complete, this scheme will significantly reduce the risk of flooding to eight properties in the village. I hope that this brings these homeowners some comfort and reassurance.”
Once completed this will significantly reduce the risk of flooding to eight properties in the village.
The works have been programmed to minimise any inconvenience to the public, however, road users should take care in the vicinity of the works and be aware of emerging construction traffic.
The scheme is expected to be completed by Spring 2021. All work will be carried out in line with current public health and health and safety advice, with safe systems of working in place for staff and contractors.
Notes to editors:
- The temporary flood defence was erected by the Department following the December 2015 flooding event.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Mallon opens five million pound financial assistance scheme for Private Coach and Bus Operators 27 November 2020
- Attitudes to Electric Vehicles in Northern Ireland 2019/20 has been published today 26 November 2020
- Publication of DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2020-21 Quarter Two 25 November 2020
- Road improvement scheme for Drumard Avenue, Tullyroan Drive, Fitzgerald Park and Old Rectory Park, Portadown 25 November 2020