Infrastructure Minister, John O’Dowd has welcomed the introduction of Irish language audio announcements on the West Belfast Glider route.
The bi-lingual audio announcements will be implemented on Glider services operating from Millfield to McKinstry Road and at the Colin Connect Hub.
Minister O’Dowd said:
“I’m delighted to be at Colin Connect Transport Hub today to welcome the introduction of Irish language audio announcements on the West Belfast Glider route. From today, in addition to the bi-lingual internal signage which was introduced in 2021, the audio ‘next stop’ announcements for passengers will be made in both Irish and English. This will be implemented on Glider services operating from Millfield to McKinstry Road and at the Colin Connect Hub.
“While there is still much more to do in ensuring greater equality for the Irish language there is no doubt that this is another positive step forward. My Department and Translink worked closely with Forbairt Feirste, the Inclusive Mobility and Transport Advisory Committee and the Royal National Institute of Blind People on the implementation of this important project to ensure accuracy in the translations and that accessibility for more vulnerable public transport users was fully considered. I would like to thank them for their valuable contribution and support.”
Notes to editors:
- Photo caption: Infrastructure Minister, John O’Dowd has welcomed the introduction of Irish language audio announcements on the West Belfast Glider route. Minister O’Dowd is pictured with (left to right) Damian Bannon, Translink Belfast Area Manager, Piarais MacAlastair, Forbairt Feirste and Colum Delaney, RNIB.
- An Irish language version of the press release is available at: https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/news/cuireann-odowd-failte-roimh-thabhairt-isteach-fuaime-gaeilge-ar-na-seirbhisi-glider-iarthar-bheal
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure